According to South African law there are instances when a vehicle owners is required to obtain a Vehicle Police Clearance as stipulated in the legislation enacted in the National Road Traffic Act, 1996.

The Vehicle Police Clearance is required in the following instances:

  • The vehicle was stolen and then recovered

Once the registered owner of a stolen-but-retrieved vehicle has been notified by the authorities that it has been retrieved, and the insurance company has done its assessment, the owner of the vehicle will then be required to get a police clearance certificate with a Request For Police Clearance form printed from eNaTIS by a Motor Vehicle Registration office to verify the vehicle’s record.

  • Engine Change of a Vehicle

When a vehicle receives a new engine, the vehicle will undoubtedly have a new engine number and as a result, the owner of the vehicle will be required to have this changed at the relevant Motor Vehicle Registration office where he will be required to present a police clearance certificate to verify the vehicle’s records and amend the necessary information to ensure that his engine number is up to date with his vehicle’s records.

  • The Import/Export of a vehicle

In order to combat the illegal trafficking of motor vehicles in South Africa, an agreement was put in place by the Souther African Regional Police Chiefs Co-operation Organisation (SARPCCO) in terms of Resolution 15 of its 4th AGM in 1999 where it became a requirement for vehicles being exported to receive a unique police clearance certificate. The purpose of this clearance certificate is to prove that the vehicle was not reported as stolen in a SARPCCO country before it was taken  to another country.

  • Cross border visits

When leaving a SARPCCO country for another (which includes Angola,Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa,
Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe) it is a requirement for a vehicle owner to get a police clearance certificate as proof that the vehicle belongs to him and was not reported stolen in the country that the vehicle came from.

If you need a police clearance certificate, contact us and we will do the queueing for you, so you don’t have too.